Period Property Help Hub

Beautiful images to inspire and excite you

Sometimes we know it can be hard to envisage what the final result of your building work might look like. Whilst we understand that every building is different, we have compiled some images which we think might inspire and excite you.

Click on the image on the left to download a short presentation of images designed to inspire you. Or click on the image on the right to take you to our website gallery.


All about roof windows

From planning to VAT, click here to find out everything you ever wanted to know about roof windows.

A Conservation rooflight® for pitched roofs is traditionally designed to replicate the original Victorian cast-iron skylight.  With special characteristics, it has become a popular choice amongst architects; contractors and homeowners for installation into properties situated within Conservation Areas and Listed Buildings.

There are many Conservation rooflights to choose from and therefore, it can sometimes be daunting to select the product that will collectively meet building controls [if applicable]; provide optimised thermal efficiency and enhance the aesthetics of your property

The terms ‘roof window’ and a ‘rooflight’ are often interchanged. At the Rooflight Company we use ‘rooflight’ as an umbrella term for all of our ranges which provide natural top-lighting. All of our windows referenced as ‘roof windows’ are CE marked in accordance with EN12519:2004.

New rooflights or skylights will not normally require an application for planning permission providing:

  • they do not protrude more than 150mm beyond the plane of roof slope
  • they are no higher than the highest part of the Roof
  • If they are in side elevation roof slope they must be obscure-glazed and either non opening or more than 1.7 metres above the floor level

If additional volume is created it may be treated as an extension and separate rules will apply

If you live in a flat, listed building or designated area (to include Conservation area, national park, Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty etc) you should check with your local planning authority before carrying out any work. Visit for more information.

Whether planning permission is required or not, Listed Building consent is needed to carry out construction works to include altering; extending or demolishing a Listed Building which may compromise the special character/appearance of the property.  For further details please visit:

Each Local Authority has a Conservation Officer who will confirm if any designations apply to the area where you live or a Listed Building classification applies.  Depending on the scope of works and the project variables, there may be a requirement for you to obtain planning permission and/or Listed Building Consent.

Properties situated in Conservation areas, may also be governed by an ‘Article 4 Direction’ which can restrict the general scope of works to include replacement of windows.  Such controls are instigated by the local council, with the intent to protect certain elements of the buildings.  Again, your Local Authority will be able to advise you if an Article 4 Direction applies to the area where you live.

Unapproved works to Listed Buildings maybe a criminal offence.

Scotland – Similar regulations and guidance apply for Scotland and can be researched at the Historic Scotland website: